Wednesday, July 22, 2015

2050 U.S. Demographics and Me
How will US demographics be different in 2050 than they are in the present? The textbook, Diversity Consciousness, sites demographers’ predictions that the percentage of people identifying themselves as multiracial will increase significantly. Interracial couples are becoming more common and accepted in society. Projected demographics show an increase in all minorities, women and older and disabled people in the U.S. workforce. These predictions all lead to one conclusion: the U.S. is becoming more diverse.

How will a more diverse country affect me personally? I am a white female, and in 2050, I will be 63 years old. I have recently become more aware of white privilege and the advantages I have received by just being born into a white family. I hope that as my children and grandchildren grow up in a more diverse country, opportunities become more available to minorities. Due to the rising number of interracial couples, it is quite possible that I could have a grandchild of mixed race and would come to a very personal understanding of the challenges facing a multiracial child.

I think it is natural, but not necessarily good, for many people to prefer to be around people who are similar to themselves, and to resist change as they grow older. I hope that I can be patient and understanding to all types of people as an older woman. Fortunately, I have close friends from several different races, and live in an area that is very diverse. I hope that in 2050, I will continue to make the effort to try to understand people who are different from me and adapt as I encounter all types of people.


References:
Bucher, Richard D., Diversity Consciousness, Opening our Minds to People, Cultures, and Opportunities, Fourth Edition, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment